Robert Wilson (Mopoke), a senior master at Scotch College, was a Scout Leader of 1st Hawthorn. His first position was as Rover Leader 1932-1939. He was Cub Leader from 1938 to 1940. Scout Leader of 1st Troop in 1946 and Group Leader from 1940 until 1954.
He fostered and encouraged the early development of the Elliott Lodge property and the re-building of the Lodge following the loss of the original building in the 1939 bush-fires. A Cub-Hut was built in the Junior School during the late 1940’s, it was later used as a gymnasium and then demolished to make way for a new Junior School Building.
‘Mopoke’ was Group Leader through the difficult Second World War years. By the judicious recruitment of Scout Leaders from the School teaching staff he built the Group into one of the largest and most successful Scout Groups in Victoria. The Third Troop was formed in 1940, the Fourth in 1943 and the Senior Scout Troop (later the Venturer Unit) in 1954.
Today the Cherry Wilson Building at the group’s Elliott Lodge property bears his name.